not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Monday, September 29, 2003

ultimatly disappointing

I woke up from a nap today, a nap that started due to reading history of Irish legal system, I found myself drawing on my leg instead of reading, nodding off instead of reading and staring in space instead of reading. I excused this behaviour due to the fact that I am sick, and that I read all my economics of develpoment reading at the park earlier in the day. Well I fell asleep no one was here, but I wook up to three of my roomates, cooking, eating and chatting in our living space. It was a bit much for me, still in a daze the kind you get when you sleep in the day, and unable to really talk. After the cammotion died down I convinced my roommate that we should rent a movie. Both of us had been sick all weekend, her at home and me here and we deserved a break from that state of inactivity. Three of us headed on this adventure to find a video store. Surprisingly enough this was hard to do. I had seen one on the way into the city but we were convinced there must be a closer one, we drove around the campus in all directions, and finally found this little strip area called Blackrock, where two of my roommates take there classes.

We walked in and the search began. It is always hard to pick a movie with three people, and we don't even know each other that well. But we say Chicago and knew that is what we needed to see. Orla said that she has been trying to see it forever, but her boyfriend was not interested. Anne said she had seen it but would love to see it again. And I have a history with this movie.

First of all two new years ago, I was in NewYork with my mom. We went on one of those red white adn blue packages, where they tried to increase tourism in NY after the attacks. Part of the deal was broadway tickets, I really wanted to see Chicago but my mom had already seen it and wanted to see something new. Then we said we would watch the movie together, but somehow that didn't work and my mom say it with her friends instead. Then earlier this year it was playing at the Paradise right by my house, my cousin and I had planned to see it. That day we went to the museam and were going to go home to our seperate places, eat chill and meet back up. She never showed up, I called and she didn't answer, I went by her house and she came to the door in her pajamas with sleep in her eyes. She was pregant-what can you do . . . then I was suppose to see it with my other cousin at the kingway by my moms house, I can't remember exactly why it fell through but it did. So here I was finally being able to see the movie I had tried so hard to see for so long.

We bring it back and as fate would have it we couldn't get the VCR to work. It was a classic pic, three girls doing there masters but can't figure out the VCR. We texted john, cuz it was his VCR and asked him how it worked. Oh course it was new, he had never used it before and there wan't an instruction manual. We did find out that his video channel is 00. Ok so I try not to be all canadian centred, but the idea that channel three is always the video channel just makes sense. I mean there is nothing special about 3, it just that here the channel is different for each tv, and we went around all the channels and I didn't even think about 0 being an option. But that didn't fix it, now we coudl see the movie, but it was not clear at all, it felt liek watching chicago meets the excorist. The tracking buttons didn't seem to do anything. And it wan't just a little fuzy, we couldn't see anything at all, except for the random head would become clear and you were looking at a bodless richard gere.

Plan b- Orla and I decided that we would ask our neighbours if we coudl borrow their vcr. We knocked on the first one, the guy didn't have one, and he really creeped us out. He didn't know what chicago was and he was edging towards coming into our apartment, which we were not keen on. I wouldn't go back in to his apartment, so we said by and went into ours. When we thought the coast was clear, we headed back out and tried a few more apartments. It seems that we are the only ones who even have a vcr. well there was one other girl, who said something about her vcr being from the north and how it wouldn't work on our tv . . .

we ended up playing cards all night which is cool with me since, I love palying cards, and so very few peopel my age dig them. But I really think that chicago and I were just not ment to be . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home