not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Saturday, September 27, 2003

continuation

So the other day as I was feeling sick :( I sat in the kitchen chating, (actually listen cuz I had lost my voice) with two of my roommates, I had left the conversation earlier cuz they had been talking about cars and money and I had little to add . . . and when I came back the conversation and swiched to religon. It was now more of a monologue of one of my roommates. this one has not really hung out much so I don't know her aswell. She started off asking why people were not more religious in ireland. WAIT A MIN . . . DID I MISS SOMETHING . .. but she filled us in, she ment that the youth here didn't go to church and were not part of the religious community. John and I echoed each other with stories of disenchanted with organized religon and catholisism in our youth. She said that she understands that type of rebellion but feels that we took the negative route instead of the route she took which was to create a more lively energtic church community. She went on to talk about the her fellowship with god and so on. I again talked briefly about problems with organized religon as a whole and the possibility of being a spiritual person with out going to church on sundays. It ended with her saying that each person can choice there own way fo relating to god BUT they need to ask if its the right way. In other words, to be cristian is the only way to be and everyone esle needs to be saved . . . fuck I'm scared of my roommate. Because she hasn't hung out much, she dosnt' know I'm queer, I don't want to have to sit through another preaching session like the other day, especially if she is condemming me.

So I move on from the religon and worry about the movement. I thought I had found a good group of queer activist, but as bug and I sat at the community centre allone we realized that we were the only ones showing up and the girl with the supplies for the banner was actually out of town. so now what, we don't know where to find spray paint and other nessissities for this event, we don't want to pay for the room and everything by ourselves and neither of us really are artisiticly gifted . . . my disenchantment was only slight but still the disappointment stung. After chilln' at a anti-smoking free outdoor concert with a guy screaming rock while playing a twelve string aucustic gautar and a guy wearing a shirt that said pants, we went over to the film festivle cafe and chilled with a few queers. This one guy who is doing his Phd at UCD and has been there since the early 90's talked to me aobut his struggles to make the community active and his subsiquent failings. We talked about the Queer Diusscussion group that I am eager to go to and how they are just acidmemics and refuse to be political. adn the social group and how they also shy away from politics.

I walked away again only slightly disenchanted, my newness, eagerness and desire to create something will not be broken by a few tales of bitter souls. I continioulsy meet people who complain that the community is not political enough, so I figure if all of those people connect it coudl be possible to create an active group. Bug said ze would be willing to help me. I went home last night to find a postcard from sal. On the front was a pic of an ACT UP demenstration from 88, and he wrote " I figured you guys could use an inspiring image of queer activism asn you go about the queering of UCD." Never has a postcard been so right on the money, I needed that and do you know what it did inspire me.

Today I created a yahoo group called Irish Gender Queers, and I made a flyer for todays protest. Here is the copy of the flyer:
Irish Gender Queers
This group has been started to question gender, challenge binaries, create a safe space to explore trans and gender issues. It is open to all trans people, MtF, FtM, intersexed, gender queers, gender benders, gender fuckers, drag queens and kings, and their supporters.
Trans issues are so very important and we need to mobilise to make a difference. Trans issues effect everyone: lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, queers, straights, and all trans people. Once gender and sex binaries have been abolished, we will all be free to explore, express and perform the sex and gender we feel at home with at the time.

This group can be used to explore trans issues, create solidarity, mobilise for change and much more. Would you like to live in a society of transnormativity. Would you like to see the decriminalization of transpeople. Would you like to see the end of transphobia is all its manifestations. Would you like to see forms include more gender options. Would you like washrooms to not exclude. Would you like to have other pronouns embraced and so much more.
If you are interested in becoming involved contact us at:

085 147 6275
riotspace@yahoo.ca
irish_gender_queers@yahoogroups.co.uk
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/irish_gender_queers


Its more exciting in its formatting (but not much more, I am new to this flyer making business)
I want to make posters and spread them around the bars, community centre and campus. Plus a few days ago I met up with this guy to talk about the irish social forum . . . he wants me to get invloved around queer issues, I'm thinking if it is ok with the people at the social forum . . . I will set up a bouth on trans issues. Hopefully it will get the word out and maybe just maybe people will want to get invloved. AHHH!!! I really hope that I can motivate people to get involved . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home