not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Friday, September 26, 2003

religon, grafetti and the movement

I'm not actually thinking about religon within the anti globalization movement, but that would be an interesting idea to press later. Actually they are two very different topics and experiences I have had in the past twenty four hours. Last night I went to the front lounge which is this queer trendy pub. It would be a cafe but people here tend to only go out for pints, so every place becomes a pub. I was meeting this girl there who had an art exhibit in the queer community centre of photography of protests in the states. We decided that we wanted a queer presence at the protest this weekend against the occupation of Americian troops in well almost everywhere!! There were only a few people at this meeting that I hadn't met in the past few weeks . . . just giving you an idea how small the community is. We are creating a banner tomorrow and trying to get a strong queer presence at the protest.

Today I went to social event with the queer group on campus. I mainly went to recruit people for the protest . . . the event was called shots and schereades. As I found out that means that you get into groups and there is a scherade compition. Before each person goes up to do there scherade they are given a shot . . .hense the name of the event. At first I was thinking that I needed to ditch ASAP, but my mission of recruiting was keeping me there. Then my buddy Joe and another guy from GR walked in . . .suddenly I didn't feel like this old queer kid crashing a frosher party. WE had a great time and my team made it to the finals!!! The best part next to standing on the stage and turning this socila evnet into political recruiting . . .was I had to join the society. They keep strict accounting of everyone, for funding and so on, so they actually give you a memeber ship card . . . so I am offically a card carrying queer!!!! I'm ready to start recruiting, if I get five I get a toaster oven . . . .hehehe

On the the graffetti, well this week on campus was froshers week and all the societies had there signs up trying to get people involved. Well the biggest groups on campus put up these extreamly sexist ads. They had a girl it the play boy outfit. They had a pic of madonna and Britney kissing saying get everything you want out of society. They had one that had huge cleavage and said get it off your chest. They had one with a girl with a blck block infront of her mouth saying women should be seen and not heard a debate on women's rights. And so on. I was so pissed. But I took action!! I bought a big black marker, and the other night went around and wrote stop sexist ads on a magority of them. Someone else was mad to, cuz there was this stensle that said "still objectifying women" spray painted on some of them. Most of those posters have been taken down, and there is a new set of ones with women in bikinis. last night coming back from the queer event I started tearing them down. ahhhh a girls work is never done.

tbc

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home