not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Monday, September 22, 2003

swimmin wimmin and other misconceptions

Other other day at the poetry reading I picked up the queer mag and say that there was this group called swimmin wimmin - a queer women swim team. So me being a swimmer and loving to meet more queer women gives them a call and finds out where they practise. On Sunday I using a hand drawn map ventures to an area of dublin I have not yet been to and find were these women are. I get there a bit early, you know the drill when you don't want to be late, so you arrive way to early. Anyways I'm sitting there writing poetry (it was a crazy day of poetry for me, which I attribute to the previous night at the reading) and this women walks in, close to 40 full mullet. Teh one that is short spiky dyke hair and then long string country girl hair all together. I knew at that moment that I was in for an interesting not cute night. Well it was not a team at all, it was just a women only swimming hour. There I was swim swim flip and so on, while these middle age dykes swan head up breast stroke. After 20 mins I couldn't take it anymore, I sure was the odd one out and the point of this group was to feel connected. But the lifegaurd let me know that I could use the jacuzzi. It was sweet, me chilln' in a jacuzzi while the swimmin wimmin floated in the pool below. I was sitting there smiling remembering the last time I was in a jacuzzi. It was this past summer at the pussy palace, naked sitting next to other nake women . . . as if the room read my mind, I had a sudden urge to turn around and read the sign that said absolutly no nudity at any time . . .I suppose this is a big problem!!

Another big problem I noticed was a sign in the change room. It said don't leave your sheep skin jackets and other valuables in the change room, as we are not responsible . . . blah blah blah . . . do people really wear so much sheep skin that it needed to be mentioned above and beyond all other valuables.

well so much for the swimmin wimmin, I walked out as discreetly as possible . . . I today I email the UCD swim team, they don't have a pool on campus but if its not to far I might join . . . I am going to see about the mountainteering team. The have a climbing wall in the sports centre and the team goes on tons of great trips. It will be a great way to see the rest of ireland. And dude climbing is the best thing ever. A few years ago I went to this magic activism workshop, in one section they put us in pairs had us tell the other person one of our favorite things to do and why. Teh purpose was to work on our active listening skills, so who ever you are debating with feels like there options are being listen too, adn when they are all done, then go in with the perfect rebuttle. Anyways I talked about rock climbing, I think the guy I worked with talked about mountain biking. Even though I already loved mountain biking he was able to get me so very excited about going . .. I think I went both rock climbing and mountain biking in the following weeks of the workshop. I'm not sure if I did any magic activism though . . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home