not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Sunday, September 14, 2003

finding my way, running and hurling

Today I woke up determined to get to the hills that I could see in the distance. I went with a blanket, an apple, bottle or water and some bread. no map just determination. I went south and took each street that was up hill, I walked for over an hour and really didn't seem that much closer to my destination, mountains are like water, the distance is disceiving. I ended up getting stuck in this suburban complex, the hills were so close but the walls would not let me near . . . sat on a hill in the small park in the middle of the complex. I lay down eat my food, and drew a map of where I thought I had just come from. My mission was defeated, but even I had been able to look down over the city and discover many great parks and streets, so it was not a compleate failure. The most impressive part was the map I drew from memory actually worked and I had not trouble finding my way back home.

I got just in time for the hurling championships. It was cork vs. killkenny. Every fan at the event was wearing team colours, most were wearing the actuall jerseys. It reminded me of seina during the paoleo. So what is hurling you ask . . . well I was told by my roommate that some people compare it to lacross and if they do slap them! Its kinda like field hockey but you can use you hands, its kinda like lacross but the stick does not have a net . . . what every you compair it to, its really intense and actually allot of fun to watch. Its a really fast rough game.

I started to get supper excited about my upcoming year, my classes start this week. I also found a few lecture series that sound really cool. On series called Dublin Queer Studies Group, and a few being held by the women studies department. I'm really excited about them. While I was filling up my planner with all the dates my roommate ann knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to go running with her. I kinda laughed when she asked but I decided it was for the best, so the two of us went running on the track, we ran about 8 times around - not the longest run, but I felt really good - we decided we would motivate each other and go running in the mornings. It just what I need to get my ass in gear. She seems really cool, shes from small town america, but is in international development and seems to be taking really cool classes. She is into feminsim and was already going to go to the queering the body lecture in a few weeks. Yeah I have a friend in my apartment, that is not just a friend based on geography and convienence.

I started looking up flights around europe . . . it looks like I can go to paris next month for about $100 canadian . . . its so insane to be able to go to paris for the weekend! I was hoping marike could go to the european forum aswell and we would meet up in paris, but she is interviewing these wimmin for her documentary that weekend . . .
>

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home