not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Monday, September 15, 2003

mobiles, flights and equality

Today I headed in to the city wiht my printer in hand, I was heading with with my Americin roommate and our irish roommate offered us a drive, she wan't even going into the city for anything, she dropped us off and was on her way. I was so greatlful especially since I was carrying my computer and printer. I got to the shop the forth time this week, I left everything with them and headed off to buy my first cell phone. I can't believe I ahve a cell phone, I kinda feel dirty using it, but really what else can I do when there is not even an option for a land line. Anyways I got my phone and my roommate John was kind enough to send me my first text message.

The computer place gave me a brand new printer, i was all disappointed in myself for not being able to figure out the problem on my won, but the tech guy couldn't do it either so my geekness did not dive down yet. Now that I have a printer I can start handing out cv(I'm not being an elietest here, this is what they call them!!). I better get a job soon cuz I'm planning trips like made. Today I booked a flight to London before taxes the flight was only 11 euros, but it ended up coming closer to 50, but all in all its still not that much, especially if I find places to stay.

I tried to book my flight to paris but for some reason it would not go through, I don't really know why, the only thing on my credit card is the cell, the london flight and thats it. The expiry date is next month, before my paris flight, but if I'm paying for it now, I'm not sure if that matters. The sad part is the seat sale ends at midnight tonight . . . 45 mins. I assume there will be other seat sales, but this one was so good, it came to 60 euros including tax.

I talked to this guy joe that is in my program and part of the globalise resistance, he knows of a few places we can crash at. I'm not too worried for the first two night, and third night I'm willing to stay at a hostle, I'm sure I can find one for around 20 euros. That way I have a few protest days and a few exploring days. The perfect trip if you ask me!!

We had our introduction reception tonight for equality studies, the group is interesting, there is only one person of colour in the whole group. The rest are white white white I would say almost all of them irish. Teh most diveristy comes iwth age and experience, there are only 5 of us in our twenties. These people have done really cool things and are researching amazing things. I drank the wine and chatted with people aobut language activism and so much more. I was in a happy place.

Tomorrow the classes start, they are very laz about choosing classes. The way it works is you have an essay for each class that is due in JAnuary the essays are assigned in the end of Octomber, you have until that time to tell them what classes you want to take. SO I could so coudl go to all of them and choose over the next few weeks, but that would be a hella lot of reading in order to participate. Basically I already know what I want to take.

The way the program works is there are 5 core courses that are evaualted and 2 that are not, but the autted courses are manditory. Then there is a choice of 4 out of 14 option courses 3 of which are evaluated. It looks like this semester I will take Feminist Theory, Equality and the Law, Women, Pop Culture adn Visual Arts . . . and then an egalitarian semianar and a research seminar both of which are every few weeks over the two years. Next semester I will take Sociology of Inequalities, sexualities and Education and the Reproduction of Inequality. Actaully I don't know if I can take that number of classes because that only leaves me Economics of development, economics of social policy and language power and equality for the next year . . . but I will also have my thesis for next year allong with the two seminars.

I just looked it up and I should take 5 classes plus the seminars not 6 . . . even thought it is hard to decide which ones to drop, I know I can take them next year . . . but having to pick 4 out of 14 of the optional courses is deadly . . . I am drawn to the ones that will directly relate to my thesis at the same time taking some political thoery classes and development classes would really be interesting. Oh my!

The way the exams are done are interesting . . . they are take home exams and you have three days to do them. I already have the dates, so for my feminist theory course I pick up the topic on friday december 5th and hand it in on the Tuesday the 9th, then that day I pick up my equality and the law exam and bring ti bakd on the 18th.

I wish I could stay up all night reading about all my options . . . but alas I promised Anne(the american roommate) that I would go running with her in the morning . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home