not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Sunday, March 28, 2004

queer speed dating

a few weeks ago at the alternative miss ireland this women came up to me and told me about a queer speed dating she was putting on. Edward and I thought it would be a great laugh. when he called me today about it I got all gitty. I came back into the vegan cafe with what must have been a excited smile on my face cuz clare and the rest of them turned and asked what it was. We decided to go for the laugh, while we were waiting for it to get started i started to get a bit nervous, what do I ask, what will I say if they ask this or that. It wasn't real nerves just uncertainity about what was about to happen.

the guys were sent to side of the room and the women on the other side. you get five mins per person and then those on the outside move one seat over. At first I paniced at the thought of five mins, but when it came down to it five mins was the perfect amount of time; it is enought time to get beyond the pleasantries and start a conversation and short enough that it doesn't get ackward and in many cases leaves you wanting more.

when the first conversation started I thought this is nice and easy now, but when I have said and heard the same things six times in a row it is going to be hard to fake an interest. yet all six conversations were unique. there were only twelve women there and tons of guys. you only get to talk to half of them, but at least the women I already knew were all in my row so clare and i didn't have to sit there and chat with each other like we do everything other day.

not only were the conversations unique they were all interesting, the interactions took any level of expectation or ackwardness you would get it you just approach someone in the pub. If nothing else it gave us all chances to make new friends. two of the girls had been at the distro earlier that day and I gave my email to one of the girls to get a copy of her zine which had sold out earlier that day. One of other girls was part of staff and students against sexism at UCD and was interested in getting move involved.

anyways to quote edward in a text on my way home "speed dating rocks!"

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home