not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Thursday, March 18, 2004

how is it that I didn't talk at all about st.paddies day while I was liking in Ireland . . . one sec I'm going to check if I wrote about it last year . . .no I started my a week after paddies day so no entry but I'm sure I would have writen about last years madness if I had a outlet to do so. But here I am in the land itself and the day seemed to go by with out a passing thought, but that is just a missconception, I was there I say the madness and then I retreated to my institutional room . . . I started the adventures with an attempt to see the parade. Clare and I headed over to una's to give her flower and of course she then changed her mind and decided to join us, well you know how some girls take forever to get ready, I tell you pregnant girls take longer!!! By the time we got out of her gaff and down the street all the people dressed in the tri colours and as vickings and leprocons were heading away from the parade. so sad. so we went out for an budist meal, very fitting hehehe.

we then made our way to st. steven greens with a bottle of wine, bread and cheese. we figured we were safe on assumptions of pregnancy on our side so the cops would not even think of checking our bags. (they had cops at the entrance, don't know if they were actually checking bags, or just controling the entrance but we wern't talking any chances.) then we had class on our side . . . with my hat on, clean clothes eating olives, rosemary bread and sitting with clare and edward I didn't have to worry about the cops bothering me. Which is funny since usually I feel the very much the oposite, usually my hair, my clothes and my friends put me in a place that the cops then to look at my group twice. But I poured the wine discreatly into my water bottle (which has two stickers one that says urgent underground with a pic of guys with gass masks adn the other is a feminist one that demands "equal pay, free creches, free contraception, free and safe abortion on demand".)

when we first sat down we wondered if anyone else was drinking . . . strange I know we should have had the cop on to know that of course they were drinking, that they had put their cider or what ever else in juice bottles. Over the hour or two that we sat there we witnessed the beautiful park be distroyed by peopel who started fights, passed out and generally acted rowdy. Rowdy what a great word. We ended up leaving with the excuse of it was getting cold, but I think the number of people been taken away in ambulances was enough of a deterant (it was five at the latest when we left.)

on the way to a pub that was outside of city centre in the hopes that we could get away from the madness, una and clare got us fat frogs. Fat frogs are excellent!!! It was my first time getting one . . .I had seen them in the grocery store and there was this day where una clare and I went on a mad mission to get fat frogs with no avail. we must have fit close to twenty corner stores but allas not fat frogs. Imagine my joy when I was walking chatting to edward about veganism or not veganism and the path of happiness . . . when a fat frog suddenly appeared in my hand! Ok what is this fat frog business you say . . . let see if they have dedicated a web site to them one sec . ..

well there is this that talks about a drink that is named after the fat frog . . . basically it is a green suggery apple flavoured popsicles (ice pops to the irish) that is shapped as a frog . . . yum yum good!

Fianna Fail TD Martin Brady has taken offence at the latest alcopop 'fad', the 'Fat Frog':
"To drink three types of alcopops in one glass is nothing other than stupid and dangerous. The 'Fat Frog Fad' will take off if publicans continue to serve them so I appeal to publicans to stop it now for the sake of us all as a nation which has a gigantic drinking problem. The sale of a drink which mixes one or more alco-pops together is a destructive combination. Publicans know this and yet continue to serve them."
There are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. I'll probably miss half of them. Does Brady propose that pubs stop selling 'Fat Frogs' pre-mixed (as I hear some bars do), or does he wish to prohibit a person from buying the different ingredients and mixing them? Given all the things which our politicians are currently directly responsible for and messing up (health service, public transport, public finances), one of them now wishes to supervise what an adult can or cannot drink? Let's not forget that the 'Fat Frog' is merely one delivery vehicle among many for alcohol, if someone wants to get hammered, then they can, 'Fat Frog' or no. Brady makes this pronouncement in the same week a FF TD is arrested for injuring a woman whilst driving over the alcohol limit, and another is named-and-shamed as a tax evader. What are more "stupid, dangerous and destructive"? 'Fat Frogs' or Fianna Fail TDs?
Note: The drink is known as a 'Fat Frog' because of its resemblance in colour and taste to the ice pop of the same name. The ingredients are - 1 Orange Bacardi Breezer, 1 Blue WKD & 1 Smirnoff Ice.


I am side tracked but at this point I can only get further side tracked to and talk about edwards new house, a house that he just bought. It is HUGE!!! I mean it is at least the size of the squat which houses 9 people now but can house many more, has several meeting, chilln' type rooms . .. got to go will continue this rant later . . .