not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Thursday, October 02, 2003

the most inferioriting moment

I went into the Disability services today to get books on tape. I also want to talk to them about being a part time student. Immigration has been giving part time students a hard time and forcing them to switch to full time. I wanted to see if having a learning disability could help my case- show that I have a legitimate reason to be par-time. But I never go to that . . .

I was getting my residence information updated when they guy asked me for my email address, I wanted to give him the UCD one, but couldn’t be too sure if I had it right, its something like a03bf83d@studnet.ucd.ie (not the easiest thing to remember) so I have him the riotspace one-a mistake- he asked what a riotspace was . . . I just wanted my books on tape – not a discussion, so I said its my personal handle. He promptly went on to tell the most inferiority “joke”

There are these group of feminists sitting in a room (my back is up already), this guy walks in and says “hello ladies you are all looking lovely today” He starts talking to them and refers to one of them as “babe” and another as a “chick”. They tell him to stop and he is all “what’s going on? What did I do wrong?” They said that his language is inappropriate . . . he said “fine ladies let me so one exercise with you, if you don’t like it I’ll leave.”

They agreed

He asked them to shout for five mins every work they didn’t want him to use. As they shouted he wrote all of them down on the chalkboard. He filled the while board with over 90 words.

He turned to them and said “so if I use any of these words: Bitch, Slut, Whore etc. you will get upset- and you call yourselves liberated.”


I wanted to hit him, I stood staring at him silently for a moment, then stumbled over my words saying but . . .. nevermind. FUCK I just wanted to get my books on tape and I was getting this sexist bullshit from the guy who was suppose to help me. I suppose they don’t connect training on disability with the other forms of oppression at Disability services.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home