not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Friday, July 25, 2003

I get the day off work

Ok its not as fun as it might seem, this morning on my way to work I got into a bike accident. Don't worry the bikes OK! I was riding east on Eglinton and as I started to bike through the intersection of Islignton and Eglinton I noticed the car taking a right turn didn't see me at all. I hit my breaks hard and turn by tire to the right in a futile attempt not to have a collision. Yet I smashed into her car and flew backwards off my bike, I crashed on my left side and fell onto back. Thank goodness I was wearing my helmet. We all have AB to thank thank for that. A month ago when we went out for dinner for the first time, I didn't have my helmet with me, she said she was disappointed and said that I lost 10 points!!! I can't afford to lose ten points, especially alread on the first date damn! So from that day forth I pulled my helmet that I had already packed and became addicted to wearing it, even if I was only giong down the street. Ok back to the accident, I was in shock and it took awhile for me to be able to get up, a women had called 911, and this off duty EMS officer just happened to be drivnf by, so before long I was surrounded by fire fighters albulance workers police and so on. the off duty officer helped me up, he also talked to 911 opporator and said we hava bravo. I can only assume that ment that I was ok. I told everyone what they wanted to hear, I didn't hit my head, my neck and back isn't sore, I don't feel any tingling or numbness. After I satisfied the EMS workers and called my work, the shock started to wear off and suddenly I realized how much pain I was in. This moment and the next random moment where my mom just happened to drive by started a streamline of tears. There is something about a mom being there that causes one to cry. I mean I coudl have easily dealt with the situation, not shown any signs of weakness and delt with the emotions later on in a more safe space. But mom being on the scene allowed those emotions to surfice right then and there.

Then the cops started there report, and it became clearer that I was going to get a ticket. I was on a bike path not on the road, and the offical rule is if a cyclist is on a bike path they must walk there bike accross the intersection. Fuck who does that! I usually drive on the road and therefore am subject to the rules of the road, yet I gladly take the opportunity to ride on a path vs fight traffic, but I havn't adjusted my habbits. As the report is taken I am reminded that I am at fault adn quested why I didn't walk my bike accross the streat. The women who didn't see me is subject to the same questioning. They actaully took my moms car insurance number and we trading insurance info as if this was a car on car accident. I took a perverse pleasure in the huge dent on the side of the womens car. i mean I was all cut and bruised and extreamly sore, I had to take the day off work, go to a clinic and buy some medication, at least I know I got her good!!! Good news thought the cop was kind and decided not to give me the ticket of $110. He said he would rather me spend that money on school then have to give it to the government. It pays to be kind to the cops.

As he was checking my bike for damage I was very happy that I hadn't put my new sticker on it yet, it is black, on one side it says one more bike on the other one less car, and in the middle it has a skull and cross bones and says death penalty to bike theives. Cops dont' like extreamists so one more thing to be thankful for.

My mom put my bike in the trunk and drove me to the walk in clinic accross the streat from our house, thank goodness for moms.

So when you look at me and say damn you look messed up, all I have to say is . . . you should have seen the other guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home