not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Thursday, August 19, 2004

this guy at work let me a Harpers mag . . . here are a few great quotes from it:
-a british researcher studying breast tumors found high concentration of preservatives used in underarm deodorants and other cosmetics, and another study found evidence that frequent underarm shaving together with deodorant use could increase the risk of breast cancer.
so I figure I'm safe!
-a study conducted in sweden found that young girls with severe anorexia are much less likely to develop breast cancer later in life, and French researchers concluded that oral sex can cause mouth cancer.
so i missed out on the being a young girl with severe anorexia bit, but I am assuming you have more things to worry about then breast cancer if you are a young girl with anorexia . . . as for the mouth cancer, I will take my chances, I don't smoke so hopefully that will balance things out on that front.
-scientists found that homosexual sheep have peculiar brains. what the hell does that mean, what is a peculiar brain? is it shaped like a traingle and have rainbow colours? what the fuck?

i'm not sure what to do about this guy at work, he is a strange one, I think I blogged about him before saying that he reminded me of a character in the movie The Station Agent. He is consently surprising me with the insightful intelligent things that come out of his mouth, while at the same time boring me with his I know everything attitude and yesterday upset me to no end with a discussion we had about body types. He has a really hard line on bodies and is unable to see anything beyond the 'super size me' problem with american culture. he doenst get the body positive thing and thinks that people who are 'fat' should be made to feel discusting about there body. his reasons are health reasons but this has been manifested into beauty norms and he uses the words disgusting when talking about larger bodies. although he gets the beauty myth and understands to an extent the body fassism in the western world, it came down to him viewing other people as objects. for example he said that in terms of the pressures on women to have this 'sexy' body that is defined by thinness he seeing that as problimatic but his reasons that he gave was that skinny bodies were not sexy to him.

its a fresh breath of air to even have this discussion with a lifeguard, ok maybe not this one since he was coming from a matcho body fasist perspective. yet everyday I get into great discussions with him about vegitarianism/veganism (he is a meet eater), enviromentalism, voting, anarchism, privitisation and so on. What is cool about most of the discussions is that it is not understood that we agree with each other from the outset and some times we do and other times we don't, but usually I feel both of us bring a new perpective to the discussion then we had before.

ok the reason I am even blogging about him is that he suggested that we go out for coffee on saturday. It happened so casually and naturally that only while we were discussing where did i get heart pulputation that this might be a date. he was saying that I shoudl pick my favorite neighbourhood to go out in, then he said except church st. oh course I asked him why and he says because guys always hit on him and he is not interested. then I said that this is interesting since myself and other women are hit on my guys in all parts of the city all the time and we are not nessissarily interested either. we ended up agreeing that it was a problem of people who are not respectful of your personal space and who are extremely persistant that are the problem since you can't say you are upset that someone hits on you if you are not interested since how would they know where your interests lie until they inquire. anyways in this discussion there was a moment where he stood back and said but you are interested sometimes right . . . it seemed less that he was scared to hang out with a lesbian and more like he was checking out his chances.

uggg, lets hope the coffee stays as casual and discussion based as all our lunches and talks at works . . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home