not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Thursday, August 05, 2004

In order to keep the quote from nazis from mars up, I will write my two favorite quotes of the day up here.

me: maybe we are just urban hipsters in denial?
melissa: But I'm not, I'm just a feminist!

"we're not licensed for suicides around here. This place halah. Kosher, understand? If you're going to die round here, my friend, I'm afraid you've got to be thoroughly bled first" Mo from White teeth, zadi smith

I picked up this magazine today called Spacing:whose space is public space, covering toronto's urban landscape. This topic of this issue is pedestrians. There is this one section called dead man walking that has this stats of pedistrians hit by cars in toronto. Some of the most disturbing stats include "1 person in 100 will be hit in Toronto by a vehicle this year." and "a pedestrian is injuried every 3 hours and 35 mins, adding up to 6.5 people per day." so people can stop making fun of me when I make eye contact with the drivers when I walk across the road and murmer "please don't hit me, please don't hit me" I have a legitimate reason to think that they might just not notice me and hit me.

Another intersting stat is when these accidents happen. according to this mag "walkers are most likey to get hit by a vehicle on Friday, at 8am or between 3pm-5pm" 8 am and 3pm strange, I suppose the 8 am thing is morning rush hour and I suppose the friday thing is last day of work rush and/or friday night drinking and driving. I would think more people go out on saturday, perhaps on saturday there is more car pooling since people are at home before they go out and on friday their may be more individuals in cars therefor less desinated drivers. But between 3-5pm, that just is plane strange. There are not even that many cars on the road at 3, perhaps then pedistrians are less aware . . . you would think that dusk would be bad, late at night would be bad and weekends would be bad. odd.

I wonder if the pedestrian streets that they ared starting in toronto are helping with the number of people getting hit. I suppose not, it will pervent people from getting hit in kensignton and church st on sundays, but I don't think that will affect the rest of the city. It might even make things worst since more pedistrains may start reclaiming the roads and the drivers unaware of the politics of this action will hit them in shere surprise of their boldness!


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home