not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Sometimes I think I am just a romantic, that when asked if I am a realist I may think so but I am just romanticizing what a realist is. I am realistic about many things but have utopian views at times. It is the utopianism that keeps be going, gives me hope and lets me dream. I was asked by the Dublin ladyfest crew to write a paragraph on what I though ladyfest was. I wrote a quite paragraph to send off, this women who asked me said that it seemed that they were missing in the heart department and were asking everyone to write something that might bring it back alive again. Something that they could possibly include in the mission statement so more people were involved in making it, something to bring the ladyfest back alive. This saddens me so much that it was the heart that was missing. I mean if you don’t have a venue, or money or something material, if you have the heart usually you will have the creativity and the energy to make it happen. But if you don’t have the heart well it just dies, regardless of what material goods you have. All one has to do is look at SEC, see an organization that is well if not over funded. And see how no one cares, how everyone just sits around and chats and how they spent there money on Ikea furniture instead of addressing the issue that the majority of the calls we get are fake calls. So here is what I wrote about ladyfest . . .

What ladyfest means to me is punk ethics and feminist praxis. It is a space where body politics, queer theory and feminism are all centralized through music, art, zines, films and workshops. It is where women how ever they identify can show their talents, skills learn knew ones and know that they can do it themselves. It is a space where confidence grows with the shared knowledge. It is DIY and non-hierarchal and brings anarcho-feminism to a fun level. Ladyfest bring a community of like minded people together who feed off each others creativity and energy and is able to create a new norm or transform the space and people permanently. Ladyfest although different in each location that it is put on creates a feeling of not being alone, realizing that another way of living, partying, interacting is possible and people are living it so many different spaces around the world.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home