not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Monday, February 02, 2004

flying words, blurry lines and vegan meltdown

Last week during womens week, I mentioned briefly to the womens officer and this lefty running for president next year that I might be interested running for womens officer next year . . . i suppose I must have said it in front of a little bird, because three days have pasted and everyone knows. To be even more clear on the quickness of the rumour ready hear about it before I had the chance to tell him, it was the same day. Elections are not until after our 3 week reading week. Campaigning is only for a few days, and the womens officer said she would help. I think that I could do a good job in that position. It will allow my feminist furry to flourish . . . I think we could keep up the Staff and Students campaign and have running in full action for freshers week. They dont' have addiquate daycare on campus and this is a huge issue for many women, so I could run a campaign about that. I would like to do more pro-choice stuff on campus and get more access to sexual health info and testing. I'm sure I can also come up with many more wonderful ideas.

The song I'm listening to know has all these little beeps in it, which sound just like my phone - another clear sign that I'm way to dependent on this little form of technology.

Last week I had a meeting with disability services and we discovered something spictacular ( if you are me). We were working on proof reading stratigies, after a page or two I developed a serious head ache. Partiall it was a result of the frustration of going through a paper that I proof read myself and then having her read it out to me hearing all the mistakes. But there was more to it then that, which I would have never known if this women was not so supportive.

She showed me this yellow pad of paper and asked if reading off that was easier. I said of course but that is because there are only a few words on the page. She came back with my essay photocopied on yellow paper. It made a huge difference. She expalin that manyh people with learning disabilities have a problem reading off white paper, and many people without them still have a problem with the paper. Part of it is the bleach used in the paper causes reflection. Only she says that people have an ultimate hue that they read the best from.

It made lots of sence, and I could relate to so much of what whe said, especially since I have perfect vision but have been getting head aches from reading. I discribed the blurryness and how when I look at the page the white spaces between words stand out like a river of white, above and beyond the words. She said this is a commen responce from people who have a hard time reading off white paper.

I used this yellow folder to read my articles this weekend and it seemed to make a difference, I need to head into a stationary place to find the ultimate colour for me.

In the mean time I feel like I am back at the first month of veganism. Back when I could easily stay away from eggs, cheese, milk, yougart, mayo, butter etc. But was having a hard time with the whey powder and dried egg yoak that slipt there way into my foods. Plus I have been having urges for chocolate. The thing is the ice cream chocolate bar thing is not the biggest issue. Its just a matter of not having the vegan options easily accessible. It is more when you get veggie burgers and they have egg in them. I have been having a hard time with those things lately. If I see in the store that its not vegan I won't get it, but some times I don't look close enough or assume that its fine and notice it when I get home. And I eat it anyways, with no guilt, expect for afterwards when I wonder how fessible it is to be vegan at all times. This question cannot be answered now, mainly because I'm not prepared to make any grand statements.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home