not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Tuesday, April 22, 2003

I just experienced the stigma and paranoia that comes with disease. My roommate came to my door and asked what symptoms I had, he was implying that I might have SARS, and he suggested I go check it out. This was valid, considering what is happening right now, but with his questions and the way he talked to me, made me feel stigmatized, suddenly I felt dirty, and I feel uncomfortable to leave my room or touch anything in our house. I know his behavior comes from fear, I wish I could say that it came from concern, but his next comments cleared that as a possibility. He sad "cuz if you have it I don't know how my system will handle it." So not only did he with a few short sentences, make me feel that I am diseased, his selfishness, and lack of concern for my health and wellbeing, was a clear sign how people stop thinking rationally in times of crisis, how they are willing to turn on their neighbors and friends. I really don’t think it is a possibility that I have SARS, I was with the cute boy the other day and he was sick, he had all the same symptoms that I have now, and after a day in bed, he was fine. It was just the flu. But I will go tomorrow to a SARS assessment clinic, just to check it off the list of possibilities.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home