not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Tomorrow I am running for the LGB postion on the student union (SAC) I have to hand my goals for the year, and I have to give a speech to the union. I think there is only one other student going for it, adn he might not even follow through, but regardless I have to stand up for five mins and say who I am what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. I went to the general meeting today with the union adn I tend to be around so I think my visibilty is out there and recognition won't be a problem, the other guy writes for the paper though so if someone doesn't know me they might just vote for him due to familiarity. Anyways thats not really the point, I have to do a speech!! I have never done a talk were I had to sway people to my side and get them to like and trust me. I have taught where there is this hieracrchy so you get some level of adimatic respect ( not that I'm encouraging hierchies but it does take the stress away) and I have done class presentations where its more about facts and arguements then getting the audience to like you. People always say bring humour into it, but really I get to scared to add any humour(unless I'm in costume of course-maybe I should go in drag!!) last year at active youth steph volunteered me to go up and introduce ESSU, I was such a mess, it was in convication hall and the lights were blinding . . . so this thing tomorrow has to be better then that.

On a more postive note, last night was the first meeting of the gender queers, it was good, we had seven people come out and three others that I know of wanted to come but couldn't make it. I'm impressed, not all of them have become members on the yahoo groups yet, but two random people have join the group online . . . it looks like this goup will be used for two different things, a safe space to talk about gender issues and ideas and a political space to fight transphobia. Everyone had there own idea what they wanted from the group, I think that I did a good job of accomidating all the interests. We are going on a campaign to get the word out. you can check out the group site at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/irish_gender_queers, I'm not sure if you can read the postings without becoming a member . . .
well I was talking about the group today in class with my friend Edward, he told me that he was a female inpersinator for years and he was at Trintiy College when the whole debate about including the T in the LGB society came up and he was a huge advicate for it. He wants to join the group aswell. PLUS he had his first meeting of a vegan society that he created this weekend, so I will going his group and he will join mine we will be the gender queer vegans!!

oh so much is going on I can hardly contain my excitement sometimes!!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home