not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Saturday, August 09, 2003

Birthdays for me in the past have been much like newyears--all this build up that leads ultimatly to disappointment. This year I felt an urge to ignore the birthday thing all together. With the number seeming so significant it seemed that it could only lead to disaterous events. The casual outlook on the day itself lead to a most enjoyable day, stress free and full of laughs. The morning started off so relaxing and decadent, with the bubble bath music and vegan pancakes. I got a few cards in the mail, and a few early morning phone calls from groggy singing family. I also received a letter from a friend, unrelated to my b-day but wonderful and sweet not the less. Work was enjoyable yes i said it enjoyable, the people were friendly and my co-worker called to say that she coudl take the evening part of the shift! A few people call me at work to say happy b-day included a call from AB all the way from BC!!!

My aunt had invited me to this reception party at the Royal York Hotel, she gave me an invitation from yale!! So sean, regan, chris and I headed down to the hotel looking very causal about to crash a party. We were interested in the free drinks and food-plus regan and I had never been to the royal york hotel before. When we got there my aunt wasn't there, but I recognize a friend of hers who she pointed out to me at the airport as we past him in our car. Luckily he was wearing a name tag and I went up to him and said "Hi Peter, I'm and Marianne LaFrance's niece, is she around her?" he hadn't seen her but declare to the whole room that "The LaFrance family was there family" and directed us towards the bar . . . my aunt did show up but we stayed longer after she left.
our souvenirs included a yale napkin and the laminated sheet outside the Alberta room that said yale reception.

The four of us went out for drinks on Queen street, then chilled in the park at bathurst and Dundas and then walked home. Over all the most pleasant unstressful b-day ever. Strange to think just one year ago, I was with sal in rome eating indian room and cruising queer bars.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home