not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Sunday, May 25, 2003

Insomnia . . . has it gone away

For the past week I have not been sleeping, the first few days I was able to attribute to external factors and thought little of it. After a full week of the same thing I started to realize that regardless of the external factors I was not sleeping. I wasn’t lying there with my mind unable to rest, thinking and worrying about things that I need to do. I had a rested relaxed mind and still unable to move from a rested state to a sleeping state. But last night I slept. The irony is I have been good to my body, doing everything on the “30 things to do if you have insomnia” list. But last night at Lara’s party I had a drink (number one rule is no alcohol). Ok so maybe it didn’t cure the insomnia completely I still only slept 5 hours, but that is double what I have been getting on an average night.

So what does this mean, do I have to have a drink or smoke a joint to fall asleep now a days. Well no can do, that goes against my whole philosophy of never using drugs or alcohol to deal with a problem. I decided long ago that I would never have a drink specifically because I was sad. Or get drunk because I could not deal with life. Etc. I really didn’t want to ever feel like I was developing an addiction, I saw what that could do to people. I had a few dark years where that philosophy kinda went down the drain, along with my serotonin levels ;) Those were good learning years and great fun at the time, but disastrous for my emotional and physical health.

Anyways my point is I hate the idea of being dependent on anything or anyone. I tend to change my habits once I find they are becoming too much of a crutch. So what will I do with this insomnia business, maybe I just have too much energy lately because for once I’m not running myself down with school, work and every activity I can get my hand on. Maybe my body is confused with the amount of time it is allowed to be stress free.

If so the answer is get busy and I will sleep like a baby . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home