not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Tuesday, November 25, 2003

I was about to write this whole long post about how I extreamly dislike bio boyes socialized in this sexsist homophobic society that have not onced questioned their priviledge. (note I am not a man hating dyke, I'm very specific with who I dislike!!) but instead of going into all of that I was distracted by a letter addressed to me, with the return name and adress of my cousins baby. Yes I realize the 5 month old did not write me the letter, but it was a cute touch allong with the winnie the poo stickers on the envelope. My cousin or rather her baby sent me photos, ohh soo cute.

I really wish I could there helping Claire out with Elise, I think its my one regreat. I mean I miss my friends and the rest of my family, but we are all big kids now, we can take care of ourselves and I know that our relationships will be maintained through distance. But Elise, I only got to spend 2 months with her, I really would like to see her do all her "firsts". I want to take on the aunt role, plus I really want to help claire out. She is my age and has a child, she needs all the support she can get. When I was in TO we lived around the corner from each other just a moments walk away. I spent allot of time with her during her pregnacy and the first two months of Elises life. I know that I was a huge support system for Clare, both as someone who is willing to do her dishes, change elises diper etc but also as a social support of someone to talk to. It is abandoning that role that I feel bad about hense my one and only regreat about leaving TO for Dublin. Oh the baby is so cute!!!

When I was in Paris (I know I know shut up already about paris) but I bought elise this cute brwon hoodie, and I bought Claire this baby book. You know those once where you fill in the fmaily tree and record all the details of the babies first few years. Well I got the cutest one of those, in FRENCH!! Its really great, claire is speaks french fluently and I'm sure that she wants to teach elise french and what better way then to document her life in french.

ok back to the bitching - you knew that I couldn't leave it allone!!

ok I had to poster today for the second library sit-in and a protest against cutbacks in education funding with the IT guy on exec. grrr I already don't like the guy from previous conversations that went something like this.

him: ok I understand that the sue me screw me poster is offensive - but why are you making such a fuss and attacking all the societies
me: the sue me screw me poster was just the icing on the cake, there have been sexist posters from most of the societies since freshers week
him: NO there havn't (read you are a women so I will not even take anything you say seriously)
me: (list the long list of posters that I found offensive saying they have sexist)
him: Those are not sexist (read my only deffinition of sexism is blantant discrimination based on sex such as you can't get this job becuase you are a women and women should be in the home cooking, cleaning and having babies)
me: these posters have detrimental effects on women - body image, self esteem etc. I'm not just making this stuff up there are many studies done to prove this and huge amounts of discourse around the issue of images, representation women and there effectrs.
him: send me there link
me: the feminist link?
him: yeah send me the link . . . I have to run

our relationship has been set, there is little he could do now to make me like him, and it gets worse, he is incharge of the games society. Ready and a few other people caught him tearing down a union poster that was covering a gaming poster. As an executive union member this is a big no no. There was a motion to ask him to resign last council meeting, not only for th eposter thing, but also becuase he hasn't done anything yet. the rest of us have office hours except for him, he hasn't created the web site or email list like he is suppose to. And so on. The point of this is to demenstrate more how the two of us will not get allong, since ready is the one who put up the motion and ready and I are together, this continues the bad air between us.

anyways we got stuck doing posters together. he acted in such a typical male way that I could only laugh at his stupidity. For example we ran into another pair doing posters, they had run out of one them so we went to hand them some, I grabed a bunch to give them but MR.IT decided that wasn't the right amount we should give them 1 more, thats right he stopped the process of me making the desition of how mnay posters to give them a grand total of 1 more.

as we walked around he told me his theories of pro-business and fuck the enviroment, expaining that the enviroment is here for us to use (abuse). This all came up becuase there was garbage all over the science building - he didn't see this as an enviromental issue or an issue of disrepect, he say it as mans (note the male is used to say men and women) right to use the environment and that it was someone elses job to clean it up.

he continously told me his options without listening to me or if I did get a word in his typical reponce was NO.

he decided where they all were to go, if I put one up, he would move it an inch or so in any direction, anything to take the control and power in the situation.

at one point when I had droped a poster becuase he requested me to hold two at the same time with one hand, when I dropped it he jokingly called me week, then I jokingly told him to fuck off.

When ever he tried to cover the social worker party posters I made a fuss, even though I don't agree with the party politics persay, I would rather have there posters around then have people like MR.IT taking over.

our postering section continued much like this, we even had another talk about the poster, where I tried to explain how language was powerful and the combination of the pictures and the quotes is what is in question.

his arguements were as follows,
1) women find the female form much more appealing then men find the male form, so it would make sence that you would have a women on the poster isnce a majority of the people will appriciate it.
2)humans are sexual beings, the perpose of our existance is to reproduce, and therefore images of women should be displayed as sexual objects.
3) the poster that says become a player with apicture of a half anked women on it is a form of equality since it really says that women can be players aswell, it is an empowering display of female sexuality
4)the point of advertising is to catch your eye and play with words, therefore these posters are excellent

come on how does one argue with logic like that, yes MR. IT you are right these posters are empowering, right and the point of advertising is to be sexist. and since we are sexual being it only makes sence to dispaly the female sex in sexual ways to grab the attention of those who naturally want to procreate. right . . .

lets just say that I was estatic when we finished our hour session of postering!!
3)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home