not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Tuesday, June 03, 2003

I just came back from training for the CHAP program, the part time job that I got last week. I really enjoyed the training, they really focus on equity, intergration, inclusion and dignity. I felt I learned allot and was able to bring much to the group dynamics. On interested section was called "Intoduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder", I was able to clarify a few myths about autism that I was confused about. In this section we learned about Aspergers Disorder, which is under the umbrella of the Autism Spectrum Disorder ASD. Someone close to be was diagnosed with this just this past year. I didn't know much about it and felt slightly uneasy aksing them since they didn't tell me directly. Today finding about about the thoery and symptoms of this disoder made my interactions with this person make more sense.

As I was leaving one of the women at the training came up to me and started chatting, she was very touchy and up close, but extreamly friendly so I decided to keep talking to her adn not to run away from fear of invasion of persoanl space. But it might have been the best idea, a few mins into the converstaion she grabed my arm and said "HAVE YOU FOUND JESUS?" thats when I really wanted to start running, but I responded calmly and said "i was raised catholic, but I moved away from it . . .I dont' believe in organized religons, " and something about embracign spirtiuality being positive. Well she did not give up she kept talking about the good man jesus and how I shoudl embrace him into my work. (while she was talking all I coudl think was shit, its a long bus ride to the subway) she went on and on about reading the bible and letting jesus find me . . . Luckly she had to go the other direction, I wished her luck in her journey with jesus and slipped away.

I wonder what about me made her come on over, there were 18 people there and she went out of her way to talk to me. Did I look the furthest away from god and she thoguht she needed to save me. Or did I seem to most approachable? I'm not sure what it was. I'm just happy that she lived east and I live west 'cuz it couldnt' have been respectful for too much longer.

Off to work, with out a white man and his stories to lead my life for me . . . .

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home