not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Saturday, July 17, 2004

This summer deffinately is not what I thought it would be, the lack of job is really changing things.  And the energy put towards getting a crap job is really uninsipiring.  Next week a good friend of mine will fine out if she can get a job with the UN in Maowi, if she does she will be one of two people I know who have a job that they want.  It seems the rest of my friends are either working horrible jobs or are attempting to have their art pay their way.  I think its fabulous that they can do that but usually it can only bring in so much cash so still have to take the telemarketer, watress type job.  Most of these people have university degrees and many of them have masters degrees.  And all of them seem to be struggling to pay there rent.  I'm in a lucky place right now where I don't have to pay rent for the summer, but I do have to pay for tution in the fall and rent in dublin which is hella expensive.  The compitition in this city for the non profit sector is insane.  you need to have 3-5 years direct experience plus a degree to even bother applying.  Volunteer related experience does not seem to count.  The thing is having the minimun standard does not mean very much since most people seem to be going for jobs they are over qualified for. 
 
The next things is how companies are forced by employment law to widely advertise, yet in many cases the position is already claim from within.  I know the city jobs do this.  I remember when I was promoted to supervisor for the city, the job was widely advertised in the city brochers, online and such.  But in reality in order to get on the interview list you had to have been recommended by both your supervisor and a higher level supervisor.  So it would not mater if you had all the experience in the world from another company or city, there was no way you could even get a call back unless you were part of the city already.
 
WOW this post was not suppose to be about this at all, I suppose I needed to rant a bit.  What I was going to write about is the anarchist summer camp or Anarchist university summer retreat as some like to call it that I'm going to in a few weeks.  Its over the long weekend in august, you go camping in this space called Dragonfly farm who say "Here at Dragonfly the 'politics of anarchy' rule within a sense of 'communal individualism.'"  The camping weekend will be a communal vegan event with workshops, films, music and nature loving.  The idea that everyone who goes brings something to it, and the list of workshops keep getting bigger . . .If I can get by friend lara to come with me I will ask if she will do a workshop of feminist praxis in anarchist organisations with me.  So far the workshops are as follows:
Community living 101
Film making workshop
Anarchism 101
Facilitating & Consensus
Starting up anarchist projects
Direct Action workshop
History of Anarchism

 
I think these are just the core workshops that are generated from those in the university, it should be interesting what else people bring to the event.  Even though the event is not expensive, a few of my friends are too broke to think about going.  The only costs are a $25 reg fee that pays for the space and contibutes to gas money for a van that is bring up supplies and the supplies themselves.  Then there is the cost of bringing food and getting there.  I am hoping now that I will be able to get a ride with someone and just split the gas money.   If I can't score a ride then sadly I can't go, I think buses to get to this place is $50 each way.  Not a very popular bus trip I tell you. 
 
 

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home