not a pretty girl


a new person with each new experience

Monday, July 12, 2004

Jobs and jobs and no jobs

One deciding factor about coming back to T dot for the summer was that I would have a full time job waiting for me starting the day after I returned. This was planned months in advance and I was happy enought to take a job that I would hate for the convience of not having to search. Not only that the company said that if I went back to the location I was last year they would give me a bonus. score. So you can imagine my disappointment when I phoned to confirm my hours and they said that I was placed in burlington (this is two cities away from toronto). Burlington, fuck who goes there, why and how . . . grr, my trusty bike is not really able to do that journey twice day . . . FUCK. So here I am in the horrible position of pimping myself for some crap job that will hire me immedialtly. The jobs applied for so far and still no responce are: telemarketers, those ppl on the streets getting you to sign up for charities, house keepers in hotels, coffee shops (with 5:30am shifts), shoe stores. you would think that having a degree and getting your masters would qualify you these crappy jobs but appartley not yet. I havn't even bothered with good jobs since it is so late in the summer and I'm only here for a few months.

My cousin said that she would not hire me based on my appearance, what the fuck, seriously I think people with tatooes should be easilty hired since you know they can dedicate themself to something and they are passionate. I think people with dreadlocks should easily be hired since you know that they are determined, dedicated and willing to put time in. My cousin said that there are stereotypes that people have of people that look like me and althought she knows they are not valid her customers would not. Ahh I told her that pop stars have tattooes, models have peircings, fuck your librarian and kindergarden teacher have coloured hair. We are in a time where this things are part of pop culture, where stereotypes have been broken and if they still exist why not use your hiring powers to continue breaking them. But I have to remember that altough my cousin is my age, she grew up in brampton, went to western, she is management in a big company and has a child . . . her perception of the world takes a much more conservative slant then mine and much of this city. I now that bascially anywhere I apply in teh city iwll be more understanding that that. That even though some places will say no noticable tattoes, or even face peircings they will not say much about my hair. Damn it I worked in a small dry cleaners for rich people in Ireland and I had no problems, how is it that in T.O. where hipsters, punks, freaks, hippies and so on are the norm i can still have problems getting a job based on my appearance. I do not look radical in relation to the people in this city.

So starts the saga of my job searching, today I am off to a few employment agancies and am ditching this one interview I have for the day. The interview is up by York, ugg, I dont' travel that well on buses and that trip would be 10 mins on the subway then 45 mins on the bus . . puke! Plus when I phoned about the job (it was a number on this flyer that jsut said something about making money) the women switched into this sales pitch saying that they were looking for "smart ppl, intelligent ppl . . .they were looking for dedicated ppl, energetic ppl, determined ppl . . . they were looking for ppl that were good at teaching others, ppl that will go the extra mile, ppl that are a cut above the rest, then raised the notch one level higher to ask "Are you one of those people?" then said I want to see you in my office monday morning at 11. fuck I'm not traveling that far to sell knives, to do door to door sales, perhaps I'm just not one of those people!

The saga has continued of course, I went to these two temp agancies near me. I decided to hide my tattoos and dress cuter then the day before, so I wore my angela davis skirt and a little t. Big mistake!! The first tempt agancy I went to was only for factory work and in this outfit I did not fulfil the image of a factory worker, but I told him that I have done the work before, that I have steel toe boats and that I am stronger then I look. Hopefully the assertiveness convinced him that I was not this passive cute girl. If only I had my tattoos showing and was wearing my regular clothes!!


I went to another temp agancy and got turned away do to lack of fuckn' experence and that they no longer had summer jobs. As I biked I, I decided to head to that interview the one with the phycho women shouting "are you that kind of person" cause fuck it I'm the kind of person who needs money and the kind of person who will do a crap job for a few months. BUT I did have one concern, if this job is commission it really wont be worth my while. I'm not a sales person and like waht regan says feminism 101 NO means NO, so when working at a call centre or door to door we have a hard time convincing people to buy shit they don't want.

Anyways I called her and asked if the job was commission or was on a wage . . .she went off on a tangent about any job in this society you get paid for the work that you do, that it is only right that you only get paid for the work that you put in, that you should never be expected to get paid just because you showed up and that you shoudl put in an honest days work for your wage . . then asked if I agreed with her. I told her not exactly, I felt like going on a rant about explotation but she was not worth the energy so I said considering the distance of the job and the commission I would not be comign for the interview. She interupted me and said that I didn't need to give her exsuse I just was not interested in working and said thanks for calling.

blah . . .well I suppose I proved that I was not that type of person, but now I have to start at the begging again and pimp my resumes at all the coffee shops, bars, and restaurants in the city. Fuck with my lack of expereince on paper. grrrr

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home